Friday, March 7, 2014

Dear FTW

Dear Food Truck Warehouse,

     I'm a single woman, and I have a female friend who is also single. The two of us go out together once in awhile to clubs or bars.  That kind of thing.  This friend, Janice, can be fun, but she's also pretty controlling and high maintenance. She's a little older than me and thinks she knows and/or has seen it all. We've known each other for years. But that's not the problem.
    Janice has this old dog.  A big one.  It's maybe a lab or retriever or something, and it totally smells. When I go over to pick Janice up to go out (She lost her license awhile ago. Literally lost it.  And she's too cheap to go get another one; too law-conscious to drive without it) she insists that I go to her door to get her.  She says she won't tolerate being beeped at from the roadway like a common whore. Whatever.
    Anywho, when I go into Janice's apartment, (dressed nicely to go out, btw) her dog always runs up and rubs itself all over me and gets it stink on me.  But that's not the problem either. 
    The issue is that once in awhile, and it happened two nights ago, when this dog is all rub-rub on me, it gets its eye gunk (or mouth gunk or some kind of wad)on my clothes.  It's the nastiest.     The other night, Janice was standing there, getting her Isadora Duncan-esque scarf on, and her dog starts its thing on me.  It left a mess (unparalleled by anything I've see before) on my new black pants.  Without thinking, I shoved the dog away and hollered "Oh GROSS!".  Janice stopped wrapping her scarf, stood looking at me, and then announced that she "was not going out" that night with me.  I tried to get her to explain, but she refused to speak.  So, I left and went home.
    She hasn't called or answered any of my texts since then.  My questions, Food Truck Warehouse, are:  Was I over the line in my response?  Should I reach out to Janice and apologize?  Or should I just chalk this up as a dead friendship and move on?  
                                      Sincerely,
                                      Dog Slimed in Durham

Dear Slimed,
     If I had a dime...So I'm going to give you an answer similar to one I've given the others.  
     As you stated in your letter, Janice has been a friend to you for years.  I think it would be a HUGE mistake to abandon such a connection now, especially when you have such ripe material to work with.
     To the matter at hand, I do think you should reach out and apologize for your behavior.  Tell her you were over the line and that you beg her to forgive your insensitivity.  Then, the next time you are at her house and her dog violates you, (and it will happen again) admire the mess it leaves behind on your leg. Casually stick your finger into it and then taste it.  Regardless of the flavor, you MUST exclaim "Delicious!".  I guarantee the night will go without a hitch.  Trust me on this one.  And good luck. 



No comments:

Post a Comment